Dave's Counter-Clockwise Tour 2003

Day Fourteen

by Dave Schultheis

Sunday, August 10, 2003 - Jefferson, Ohio

I slept, but not very well. I was awake and stirring around 6:30 a.m. I was again sticky and cramped in the small tent. I dressed, packed and loaded the bike, no thanks to the mosquitos, then helped others clean up the campsite area. The first time I looked at the thermometer, it was 72 degrees.

Evidently Hemipower had arrived very late last night and had left very early in the morning, so I never got to meet him.

Banker Bob counted the money from last night and was pleased to report that nearly $800 had been donated to Eddie's charitable trust.

Goodbyes were said all around as people got on their way.

I left at 9:10 a.m. and rode out OH 307 and OH 534 before eventually getting onto Interstate 90 and heading west.

At about 10:00 a.m., 76 degrees, I took exit 193 and stopped at a Shell Station and True North Store in Mentor OH for fuel.

Back on the highway, in order to skirt Cleveland, I turned south on Interstate 271 for a while, then west on Interstate 480. Then, when that ended at Interstate 80, I continued west on U.S. Highway 20.

About 11:45 a.m. I stopped at Roeder Harley-Davidson Shop in Monroeville OH for a rest and to check the porcelain. It was 80 degrees. I talked to a couple riders out front, and they shared route tips. The shop had no Fat Boy logo tee-shirts, but I was intrigued to see a sign that (I think) said that from May through August, Service was open from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Sundays.

I continued west on U.S. Highway 20 through Bellevue, and decided that since I was back on a "good old numbered two-lane highway" ("GON2L" tm Redbeard Emeritus), it was about time I started taking pictures of U.S. Highway signs, so I stopped for a Hy 20 photo.

Later I stopped at Tim Sherman's Signature Harley-Davidson in Perrysburg OH, near the outskirts of Toledo, where it was 82 degrees. I checked the bargain table but didn't find anything I couldn't live without. They did not have any Fat Boy logo tee-shirts.

I got onto northbound Interstate 475 as it circles Toledo, then continued north on U.S. Highway 23 toward Michigan, stopped at the state line for a photograph at 1:55 p.m., and took exit 1 at 2:00 p.m. It was 90 degrees as I stopped to call Dave C. to tell him that I was in his home state, but the network was busy. I tried again and finally got him on the 3rd attempt.

From there I turned back and headed south on U.S. 23, then west on U.S. 20 again. It was very rural and I needed fuel, so I stopped and asked someone at U.S. 20 and OH 108, and was told that I'd find gas another 1 or 2 miles down the road.

Sure enough, at 2:55 p.m. I pulled into a Citgo Station, 80 degrees, about 6 miles east of Fayette OH.

After refueling, I continued west for about an hour and crossed into Indiana at 3:52 p.m. Eastern Time. About 20 minutes later I stopped at a Best Western in Angola IN, 80 degrees, in the southwest quadrant of U.S. 20 and Interstate 69.

After some negotiation, I managed to get a non-smoking, first-floor room, where I could park in front, and used my AAA discount. Unfortunately, the room smelled awful, so I asked for, and got, a room change. Room 138 was much better, no smell. I unpacked, changed clothes, and took some of them over to the laundry room.

Here's another touring tip: In this case, soap was 75 cents, the washing machine was $1.25 and the dryer was one dollar (in quarters). It's a good idea to carry a few dollars worth of quarters, because motel personnel are not always willing or able to make change. A small plastic tub full o' quarters from a casino could be just the right size to fit in the saddlebag. In this case, I had it covered.

Between laundry trips, I talked to a young man staying in a nearby room, who reminded me that since we were in Indiana, and since Indiana does not observe Savings Time, it was not 4:30 p.m., it was only 3:30 p.m.

This guy, named Brad, was a field worker for a testing company, and he was going (the next day) to a fire department to periodically test some of their safety equipment. He was kind enough to give me a few route suggestions, between laundry runs.

Later, a family rolled in, parked next to my bike, and went into a nearby room. They had a small son about 7 or 8, and an extra-large daughter with loud pink or red hair, about 16-19 years old, who didn't like _anything_ any of the rest of them were doing. I'll bet it was fun riding in _that_ car!

At one point I rode across the freeway to get some dinner, then came back and ate in my room, while finishing the laundry and watching TV Land. I also packed some clean tee-shirts to take to the post office the next morning.

While taking a shower and getting ready for bed, I discovered several mosquito bites, mostly from when I was taking down the tent, and they had become quite annoying, but I put some aloe vera lotion on them and that helped a lot.

Miles for the day = 274. Miles for the trip = 3804.

Tomorrow: heat, rain, construction, repeat; another long day of travel.

Comments - Feedback - Input - Rebuttals
Back to Dave's Home Page
Back to Dave's Trips Page
Back to Day Thirteen
Ahead to Day Fifteen
Created on February 11, 2004. Updated on February 24, 2004.
David W. Schultheis, San Josť, Silicon Valley, Santa Clara County, California, USA